Sometimes it seems like everyone is talking about Mommy Makeovers. We can’t open a magazine without seeing pictures of celebrities who have had one of these procedures done. What makes a Mommy Makeover so special? Why is it suddenly (or maybe not so suddenly) quite popular?
Our first thought might be that the answers to those questions are right in the name: it’s a Mommy Makeover and there are a lot of moms in the world. Simple, right? Admittedly, it kind of is. That is part of it. But it’s not as though all moms are the same or suffer from the same signs of aging.
But maybe that’s the key to the Mommy Makeover’s broad appeal. Since moms tend to be, you know, varied, a Mommy Makeover has to be adaptable to. So can we customize our Mommy Makeover? Is that where the strength of this procedure is rooted?
A Typical Mommy Makeover
As advertised, a “standard” Mommy Makeover will usually consist of three different procedures. The idea here is that these three procedures address specific areas of concerns for moms. As these moms know, there are usually some special ways that motherhood affects your body.
Those “standard” procedures are usually:
- Liposuction: Pregnancy and normal aging processes can conspire to change the way our bodies process fat—meaning we tend to hold on to weight a little more aggressively. Liposuction is designed to help us get slender in all the right ways (and places) again, so we can look a little more youthful.
- Tummy Tuck: It shouldn’t be shocking, I hope, to mention that pregnancy stretches the skin around the belly. And once this skin stretches, it’s usually not bouncing back. A tummy tuck is a way to get rid of that excess skin—to give our abs a little extra structure and make our tummies look more trim and fit.
- Breast Lift: With motherhood and pregnancy comes other wonderful changes, exacerbated by the normal aging process. That can certainly affect the breasts. For many, the breasts begin to sag significantly after pregnancy and nursing. A breast lift can return the breasts to a more youthful position (and perkiness).
Standard Isn’t the Only Option
Of course, we’re all beautiful and unique, so “standard” isn’t going to be the right fit for everyone. That’s one of the reasons why Mommy Maekover procedures are so well liked. Essentially, everyone gets a little bit of what they want. Let’s say that we’ve been blessed with a perkier than usual bust—we don’t have to get a breast lift if we don’t need one.
In fact, there are a ton of procedures that can be used instead of the big three. Like some of the following:
- Breast augmentation: Nursing can leave the breasts looking a little deflated, changing the size of the bust. A breast augmentation can return the breasts to a more youthful-looking size.
- Botox: It’s not going to make a huge difference, but it could get rid of the permanently furrowed brow that’s often associated with the stress of motherhood.
- Dermal Fillers: Again, these injectables will produce relatively subtle results. But they could do a lot to lift our cheeks or make us look a bit more radiant, even if the results are temporary.
- Liposuction of the back: The tummy isn’t the only place that tends to accumulate unwanted areas of fat. The back can also collect its fair share of stubborn excess. Liposuction of the back is a great way for moms to get rid of it.
The truth is that this list could just keep on going. Just about any plastic surgery procedure can be conveniently folded into a Mommy Makeover. Likewise, a Mommy Makeover doesn’t necessarily have to include any specific procedure.
Why Even Have a “Mommy Makeover” at All?
If a Mommy Makeover can be so loosey-goosey with the rules, why even have a procedure called a “Mommy Makeover” at all? To some degree, if we’re totally honest, a Mommy Makeover is kind of a marketing gimmick. It’s a way to get some attention on a set of procedures (hence, two words that start with M—it’s a great marketing trick).
But it’s an incredibly useful marketing gimmick. It addresses several areas of the body that are impacted broadly by motherhood. In other words, many moms have the same problems. A Mommy Makeover is great because it addresses many of these problems—but you can still customize a mommy makeover to help make sure you get the mom-bod you actually want!
- Tummy Tuck or Mommy Makeover? 3 Questions to Help You Decide
- How to Customize Your Mommy Makeover
- Should Your Mommy Makeover Include a Full or Mini Tummy Tuck?