When you think of BOTOX®, you probably think of BOTOX for wrinkles on your face and reducing the signs of aging. However, BOTOX is used for many more treatments including migraines and chronic pain. And now, people are turning to BOTOX for body contouring. But don’t get too excited. It won’t replace lipo or other forms of body contouring, but it can give you some options that can give you a slimmer appearance and even reduce muscle pain.
How BOTOX Works for Contouring
BOTOX works to treat wrinkles by relaxing the muscles responsible for those wrinkles. For body contouring, the idea is somewhat similar. Injections onto certain muscles relax the muscle, giving it a thinner appearance. This thinner appearance helps you look slimmer and more defined in the treatment area. The big difference from facial BOTOX treatments is the injections must go deeper into the muscle and in order to achieve the desired results, you will need a lot more BOTOX!
BOTOX can make you shoulders appear slimmer and help relax the muscles that contribute to shoulder and neck pain.
Areas of the Body Where BOTOX Works for Contouring
Now don’t get all excited that BOTOX injections can help give you a slimmer waistline after a few injections. Unfortunately, BOTOX doesn’t work everywhere, but it can make a difference in some key areas of the body. These areas include:
- Shoulders and Neck – If you have bulky shoulders or a short neck, body BOTOX injected into the trapezius muscles can slim down the shoulders and give you neck a more elongated appearance. In addition to giving you a slimmer appearance in the upper body, shoulder BOTOX injections can also help relieve regular should and neck tension as the injections relax those muscles.
- Calves – If bulky calves have you self-conscious when you wear shorts or your favorite dress, BOTOX body contouring may be just what you are looking for. For this treatment, BOTOX injections go into the gastrocnemius muscle while your calf is flexed. While you will see results after one treatment, multiple treatments are often necessary to achieve the desired slimming.
- Thighs – If frontal thigh bulge is a problem for you, BOTOX can help. Injected into the quadriceps, these injections can help to reshape the contour of your thighs and give you a leaner look.
How Long Will BOTOX Body Contouring Last?
Like facial BOTOX, the results do not last forever. You can expect to see the slimming effect last for about six months. This timeframe is shorter is you regularly exercise the treated muscles. After that six months, repeat injections will give you the same results for another six months.
Possible Risks of BOTOX for Body Contouring
As with all injections and cosmetic procedures, you have risks. Risks associated with BOTOX body contouring can include asymmetrical contouring, bulging of the muscle and muscle weakness. These complications typically occur when too much BOTOX is used, so look for a provider that is experienced in this new treatment option for your best results.
- 3 Steps for Summer Skin Protection
- How the Eyes Affect Others’ Perception of You
- How to Fix Fine Lines