Who would have ever though that shapewear, or compression garments, would be a hot product for the black market? But after a two-million-dollar robbery in Miami, that is exactly what they are. Thanks to Kim Kardashian, their popularity for slimming the waistline has grown, but these compression garments really make a big difference after your tummy tuck procedure. And while it doesn’t really matter if you pay full price or get it off the black market, the right shapewear piece can really enhance your results.
What a Difference Shapewear Makes
During your tummy tuck consultation, chances are your plastic surgeon will go over your post-op care, and it will likely include a discussion about compression garments. Some surgeons may include a compression garment with your surgical package while others will recommend their favorite brand. How long you wear the garment is also at your plastic surgeon’s recommendation.
But what do these garments really do? After your tummy tuck, swelling is going to occur. During the recovery stage, compression garments help to reduce this swelling while also helping to maintain an even contour.
What Makes a Good Compression Garment?
When it comes to choosing the right compression garment for a tummy tuck, whether you get it on the black market and save a few pennies or not, there are some important things to consider.
- Fit – A compression garment should fit you snuggly, but not too tight. If it is leaving a mark, chances are it is too tight, and this can cut off circulation.
- Coverage – When choosing shapewear for a tummy tuck procedure, it is essential that your garment cover the treated area completely.
- Zippers or clasps – Some shapewear garments have zippers or clasps, making them easier to take on and off. While this is convenient, it can also pose a problem for your incision line. Consider the location of these clasps and find something that won’t get in the way.
- Washable – Not all garments can be washed. After a tummy tuck, you can experience drainage and having clean garments is essential to reduce the risk of infection. Look for shapewear you can toss in the washing machine and keep clean.
In the end, it doesn’t matter if you buy your garment from a top end dealer or off the back of a truck, as long as it meets what you need, and you wear it after your tummy tuck procedure as advised.
- Tummy Tucks: Not Just for Women
- Benefits of a Drain-Free Tummy Tuck
- 3 Ways to Reclaim Your Curves after Pregnancy